Friday, October 16, 2015

Untapped! Beer and Music Festival

You'd think I'd end with a beer festival, right?

Nah. My beer adventure started in Houston for Untapped's beer festival. I was lucky enough to get VIP tickets from a family member that couldn't go. I was even luckier to get the day off at work on such short notice.

Down I-10 East I went, three-hours later I was in Houston to sample as many beers as I wanted and enjoy some live music.

 It was fairly late by the time I arrived but it made for a better environment. The festival was held in Discovery Green, a park in the middle of downtown Houston that even had a small lake for attendees to paddle in. There were rows and rows of tents from different breweries, unfortunately I didn't get many pictures, it was quite dark and there were a ton of people.

Upon arrival I was given a beer ticket and a small glass. The beer ticket was good for twelve two-ounce beer samples. As the night progressed most breweries stopped counting and were just giving away samples.


I did manage to find a few beers I enjoyed, most notable were the shandy's from Traveler brewery. The Lemon Shandy by Traveler had to be my favorite beer of the night, it was light, refreshing, and had a pleasant tart lemon aftertaste. According to traveler it is a wheat ale with added lemon, it's alcohol content is 4.4%. I didn't have a physical bottle of it but there was also a measurment of BU, bitterness units. This shandy is at a 7 while the scale can go up to 40+. That was another beer I tried from Revolver brewery. I was able to sample Anodyne, a wheat ale with a content of 9% and a BU of 50. One sip was more than enough for me. It was bitter and complex, a flavor I'm still trying to wrap my head around.

Alas, in a festival of 70+ breweries I was only able to find one beer I enjoyed, then again I had to pace myself for the drive home. All in all it was good food, great music, and a taste shandy.

No comments:

Post a Comment