Friday, November 13, 2015

Wurstfest; Where It's Socially Acceptable to Drink A Pitcher of Beer

Not only is it acceptable, it's encouraged!

Wurstfest is one of my favorite time's of the year. There's German food (delicious), German people (gotta love 'em), and beer everywhere. I know what you're thinking "But I thought you hated beer?" You're right! It's the title of this blog! That doesn't mean I hate the concept of it. Wurstfest is fun in that people go strictly to have a good time and drink a ton of beer and dance and listen to yodelers, the only time yodelers are cool is during Wurstfest.

A group of friends and I traveled to New Braunfels to enjoy Wurstfest. We lined up, bought drink tickets, and lined up yet again to get some beer. You could easily order a pitcher of bud light or budweiser but please have some self-respect. Love yourself. You have options.


As a non-fan of beer I was elected to be a designated driver so I decided to stick to one beer for the night. My heart was set on the Texas Honey Cider but when I reached the booth I was dismayed to find out they had just ran out. Disheartened I decided to go for a cup of Angry Orchard cider, it wasn't even a seasonal ale. My boyfriend got a pitcher of Shiner Oktoberfest as well as a cup of Chocolate Peanut Butter stout and another friend went with a pitcher of Oatmeal Stout.

The Oktoberfest on it's own wasn't that bad, I'm still getting used to the flavor of the hops and I really do think I'm getting more accustomed to it. Dissapointed that I was drinking a regular cider at a beer festival I decided to mix that two and was surprised at how delicious they were together. The Oktoberfest added the hoppy element to the otherwise plainly sweet cider and made for a more complex beverage. Now I know that if I decide to drink more beer I'm going to stick to shandy's.

The chocolate peanut butter stout and the oatmeal stout were different stories. Wow. Gross. NO! The chocolate peanut butter stout smelled wonderful, almost like a tootsie roll, but the taste was absolutely awful. It was extremely bitter and the peanut butter aftertaste lingered far too long. The oatmeal stout was just dark, heavy, and bitter. If you like dark beers definitely give them a try but otherwise....stay far, far away.


All in all Wurstfest was a ton a fun and I highly recommend that other's go at least once. It can get expensive though so be prepared to spend about $60 in total, counting entrance fee and parking.
Displaying IMG_5546.JPGDisplaying IMG_5546.JPG
Displaying IMG_5546.JPG
Displaying IMG_5546.JPG

No comments:

Post a Comment